Best things about Shenyang, China:
Um.....
Okay, Worst things about Shenyang, China:
10. It's very dirty. There's dust everywhere (thank you, Gobi Desert!). The rain just makes the dust stick to stuff.
9. It's very polluted. The sky is hardly ever clear (exception: a few days in the spring), and when it's cloudy, the haze is trapped even lower to the ground. If we go out for walks, the girls and I cough for a while afterwards. But we have air purifiers in our home, so that helps a lot.
| It's worse in the winter, and this was the worst of the winter. |
8. People hack loogies and spit them all over the streets, sidewalks, front steps of buildings, drainage holes, etc. Everywhere. I've taught Penny well, though. We passed our neighbor's apartment and heard him hacking a loogie. She turned to me, wrinkled her nose, and said, "That's GROSS!" Amen!
7. The food isn't anything special. The one specialty dish of the area is essentially sauerkraut and pork ribs. It's good about once or twice a year. Besides that, people just eat rather bland, oily stir-fried veggies and meat. The street food isn't at all exciting, though I do like some dan-dan mian (cold noodles with sesame sauce and cucumber).
6. Shenyang is not a tourist destination. Even though it was once the imperial capital, I think the Manchurians had the right idea to keep heading south. There is an old imperial tomb and an old imperial palace in town, but I haven't even been to the palace yet.
5. There are no trees. The trees that do exist have only been planted in the last year or two, and they're struggling for life. Once a tree establishes itself and flourishes, they chop it down. We finally bought a ton of houseplants to compensate for the lack of outdoor greenery.
| A scenic view from our apartment |
| I'm glad this giant pit was so well-marked! |
3. The traffic. You have to jump across the street lane by lane dodging traffic. The other day someone turned right in front of us, coming VERY close to Penny. They slowed down to wait for more cars to go by, and I went and yelled in the window at the driver. I said, "Didn't you see this little child? You need to be more careful!" I sure told him!
I think the whole nation and future generations could have benefitted from playing "Frogger" while growing up.
2. The noise. We live above a shopping center. There's a lamb kebab place whose employees all wear headsets connected to some speakers cranked TO THE MAX. We're on the 20+ floor of our apartment building, and we can hear their constant babble. (I speak Chinese and respect that it's an awesome language. But these guys just mumble into their stupid headsets all day long. You can't understand them close up, and it's even more garbled-- but more annoying-- from our apartment windows.) And the McDonald's next door plays a short ditty over and over ad nauseum to advertise its ice cream (Think ice cream truck parked outside your house every day all day-- summer and winter.) And they're having a sale this weekend. I saw a stage being erected, and there will be constant music, performances, and announcers all weekend. And in China, if it's not cranked up TO THE MAX, it is not okay. Speakers are (apparently) made to be cranked up TO THE MAX.
1. Oh yeah, the winter. It's hard to remember it now that we're enjoying summer, but it's REALLY cold here all winter. REALLY cold.
Ha ha ha, there ARE some awesome things about living in China. I really enjoy it here, and I could easily list more than 10.
| Sometimes it's just so warm you have to roll your shirt up to your armpits. |
9. I love that I'm too big to wear any of the clothes and shoes for sale here. (What? Just keep reading.) If I dig around and find an XL or ask for the largest size of shoes they carry, sometimes they might have my size. But usually not. (And I'm not HUGE. I'm 5'7" and usually wear a 10 or 12 in America. Not tiny, not huge. Except in China.) But this has helped my style immensely, keeping me from buying some truly atrocious fashions.
| I may not fit the clothes, but I can still accessorize!! |
| Just jumping rope in the plaza. |
6. Everything's really cheap. Fruits and vegetables cost close to nothing. (Considering how much the Chinese farmer makes, this is easy to believe.) I can have clothes made for a very low price. We go eat street food all the time-- even though it's not great. We can afford to have a housekeeper.
5. We have a housekeeper. This deserves a number of its own. She helps keep my house clean, and she also loves to play with Naomi. She's teaching me that it's okay not to feel like I have to do everything myself, that it's okay to rely on other people. For me that's a big lesson. And I'm also becoming lazier than I ever thought possible.
4. There are some fun things to do around town.
| Playing with the old people at the park |
| Collecting pine cones with friends at the Ancient Tombs Park (Beiling) |
2. We live in an amazing apartment. They serve us breakfast every morning and change the sheets on our beds when we need them to. (Ahem, laziest person in the world right here.) The area might be noisy, but it's very convenient. There are 4 grocery stores within a short walk and 7 McDonald's restaurants. There are even more KFC's, though I haven't counted because we don't go there often. If I need to go shopping, I can run downstairs to H&M.
| We eat here more in China than we ever do in the States! |
2 comments:
I LOVE this post! It is fascinating, and it brings back so many memories and fond emotions. Love you!!
It sounds amazing. And difficult at the same time. My daughter was adopted from Taiwan and is Han Chinese so I always say if we ever get the chance to live among her culture, we'd do it in a heartbeat.
Post a Comment