
We went up and visited with Grandma. She's been taking care of Grandpa for the last few years while Grandpa has gradually gotten older and able to do less and less. When I went last year, his hearing was gone and he'd lost his interest in reading. He didn't talk very much, except to bless the food at dinner. So he just sat and watched whoever/whatever was going on. He was getting more and more dependent on Grandma for his basic needs, and gratefully, her health allowed her to take care of him. On Monday when we went to visit, Grandpa stayed in bed almost the entire time we were there. He'd just recently stopped feeding himself, and when he finally did get up and visit us in the living room, he didn't seem to notice us there at first. He did perk up when he saw us, and he smiled at everyone for a little bit. When we put Penny on his lap, he smiled at her and said a little something to her.

I'm very glad we visited Grandpa last week. Yesterday we found out that Grandpa had died. And while it wasn't untimely or entirely unexpected, it is still sad. I am happy, though, that we didn't wait until yesterday to see him. I am happy he got to meet Penny. And I am happy that Grandma gets to rest from her work of taking care of Grandpa.I'm very sad that Grandpa's gone. I feel like the last several times I've gone to see him I've had to say goodbye a little bit at a time. So while 92 is a very good age to live to, it's hard to say goodbye at last. I know I'll get to see him on the other side and he'll be bright and cheery as ever. But I plan on waiting a while before I get there, and I'll miss him before then.

I'm very glad we visited Grandpa last week. Yesterday we found out that Grandpa had died. And while it wasn't untimely or entirely unexpected, it is still sad. I am happy, though, that we didn't wait until yesterday to see him. I am happy he got to meet Penny. And I am happy that Grandma gets to rest from her work of taking care of Grandpa.I'm very sad that Grandpa's gone. I feel like the last several times I've gone to see him I've had to say goodbye a little bit at a time. So while 92 is a very good age to live to, it's hard to say goodbye at last. I know I'll get to see him on the other side and he'll be bright and cheery as ever. But I plan on waiting a while before I get there, and I'll miss him before then.
8 comments:
Wow! I can't believe you guys decided to go sooner rather than later. That must have been the Spirit, don't you think? What if you would've waited? Thanks for posting about this, Chelsea. What a good reminder to follow promptings!
I'm so glad that you were able to go see your grampa and that he was able to see Penny before he carried on!
What a sweet tribute to Grandpa, and I love the pictures! That's so happy that Grandpa got to meet Penny. We haven't been to Colorado with the kids at all. We were going to try and make a trip west this fall and include them in it, but with Clint's new job it didn't work out. We'll have to try and visit Grandma when we're out this summer.
I'm sorry that you lost your grandpa, but I'm so glad that he got to meet Penny! What a blessing!
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Those pictures of him and Penny are beautiful!
It was also great to see you this week - thanks for stopping by!
Chelsea, I'm sorry about the loss of your grandpa.
That's such a blessing! My grandpa died in October, and while he wasn't a terribly "lovable" man, it was sad to have him go. Isn't it so great that we know we will be with our family again someday!
How wonderful you were able to see him one last time, that Penny was able to meet him and you captured those pictures.
Post a Comment